Some important points to know about Version 1.3.3:
- This is a free update to all of our licensed Orca3D users and, as a full release, will not expire.
- Any Orca3D information in a Rhino file that is saved with this new version will NOT be readable in version 1.2.4 or earlier versions. No native Rhino model information will be lost, but Orca3D information, such as section locations, weight/cost information, etc. will not be found by earlier versions of Orca3D. Since this is a free update for licensed users, we recommend that version 1.3.3 be used to avoid this issue.
- This is expected to be the last version of Orca3D that is compatible with Rhino 4. All future updates, WIPs, and upgrades will require Rhino 5.
- Rhino requirements: Rhino 5 64-bit SR 10 or higher; or Rhino 5 32-bit; or Rhino 4 SR 9 or higher.
- In the event that a critical bug or other significant issue is discovered in version 1.3.3, there may be a 1.3 Service Release that is compatible with Rhino 4.
- Some new features which are still in development are not included in Version 1.3 (Stability Criteria Evaluation, Longitudinal Strength).
- A new WIP (1.4) has also been released, which includes Stability Criteria Evaluation, Longitudinal Strength, and more.
- Version 1.3.3 includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the standalone and network license versions.
If you’ve been following the WIP process, you’re aware of the many enhancements, speed improvements, and bug fixes in this version. Please see the Release Notes in the Help file for complete details; highlights include:
- A new command, OrcaCrossCurves, has been added to allow the user to compute and report traditional cross curves of stability. See the Orca3D Help File for details on the use of this new command.
- Extended command OrcaSelWeightCost to permit selection of weight/cost items by material type (point, curve, surface, solid, none) or by material name.
- Extended the Orca3D hydrostatics CSV file output to include extended information for the rollover conditions when the option to include full output is selected.
- Made additional Orca3D commands scriptable including OrcaPointsOn, OrcaPointsOfInterest, OrcaCreateWeightCostPoint, OrcaProperties, OrcaInsertNet, OrcaInsertChine, OrcaWrapCorner, OrcaExportMeshes, OrcaCreatePlate.
- Modified the layer name used for the output of the hydrostatics floatation plane to include the condition the plane is associated with.
- Modified the Orca3D
hull assistant form behavior so that the
key does not automatically create the hull geometry to avoid inadvertent hull creation. The user must click OK to create the hull.
- Implemented several Orca3D installation and licensing changes. Updated licensing files and services to the latest versions. Modified network-licensed product installation instructions and some of the network installation files to reduce likelihood of inadvertently running the incorrect installation. Packaged license diagnostic utilities in installation.
- Fixed a bug in the Orca3D hydrostatics report in which the TCB and TCF plot label could inadvertently read 10^0.
- Fixed a bug in the Orca weight/cost manager in which directly editing a value in the manager grid control did not apply the proper units conversion.
- Fixed a bug in OrcaRemoveNet in which the surface normal was sometimes inadvertently flipped.
- Added call to set the “modified flag” of the current Rhino document for certain Orca3D commands.
- Addressed a units and persistence issue related to overriding the initial plane height for free float hydrostatics in the Orca3D design condition.
- Fixed a bug in some Orca commands in which the general Rhino application setting, m_bSplitCreasedSurfaces, was not being properly reset to its original state at the command conclusion; this affected the following commands, OrcaCreateFoil, OrcaCreateRIB, OrcaInsertChine, OrcaInsertNet, OrcaRemoveNet, OrcaCreatePlaningHull, OrcaHullAssistant.
- Improved error handling in OrcaHoltropAnalysis so that certain geometries (e.g., catamarans) in which the transom finding logic could cause a crash are now more robust.
- Addressed a bug in Orca weight/cost reports where CG subtotal could be reported as a NaN instead of zero for zero weight totals.
- Applied several lines drawing bug fixes including an issue in using “selected curves” for the drawing, a problem where changing section locations or reading in a new model after a lines drawing was created did not allow future lines drawings to reflect the new sections, an issue where the bodyplan split location was being ignored, and an issue in which chine lines were not appearing in the drawing.
- Fixed bug in importing a Rhino model containing Orca3D units information into the current model that contains different Orca units.
- Added logic to prevent Orca3D sections that were made invisible through the Rhino layer control from reappearing during interactive Orca3D control point manipulation.
We recommend that all of our Orca3D users download and install Version 1.3.3. Before installing, please uninstall any previous versions. No changes to your licensing are necessary. If you are using both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Rhino, you may have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Orca3D installed at the same time.
If you have questions as you install and use the new release, remember that you can:
- read through the Help file which is available from the Orca3D menu in Rhino, and on our web site here
- send an email to email@example.com
- post a question on the Orca3D forum
To download the new version, please visit www.orca3d.com/update
Thank you very much for using Orca3D, and we look forward to hearing from you!